The Registration Act Content
1. Short title, extent and commencement.
OF THE REGISTRATION-ESTABLISHMENT
3. Inspector-General of Registration.
5. Districts and sub-districts.
6. Registrars and Sub-Registrars.
7. Offices of Registrar and Sub-Registrar.
8. Inspectors of Registration offices.
10. Absence of Registrar or vacancy in his office.
11. Absence of Registrar on duty in his district.
12. Absence of Sub-Registrar or vacancy in his office.
13. Report to State Government of appointments under sections 10, 11 and 12.
14. Establishments of registering officers.
15. Seal of registering officers.
16. Register-books and fire-proof boxes.
16A. Keeping of books in computer floppies, diskettes, etc.
OR REGISTRABEL DOCUMENTS
17. Documents of which registration is compulsory.
18. Documents of which registration is optional.
19. Documents in language not understood by registering officer.
20. Documents containing interlineations, blanks, erasures or alterations.
21. Description of property and maps or plans.
22. Description of houses and land by reference to Government maps or surveys.
OF THE TIME OF PRESENTATION
23. Time for presenting documents.
23A. Re-registration of certain documents.
24. Documents executed by several persons at different times.
25. Provision where delay in presentation is unavoidable.
26. Documents executed out of India.
27. Wills may be presented or deposited at any time.
OF THE PLACE OF REGISTRATION
28. Place for registering documents relating to land.
29. Place for registering other documents.
30. Registration by Registrars in certain cases.
31. Registration or acceptance for deposit at private residence.
OF PRESENTING DOCUMENTS FOR REGISTRATION
32. Persons to present documents for registration.
32A. Compulsory affixing of photograph, etc.
33. Power-of-attorney recognisable for purposes of section 32
34. Enquiry before registration by registering officer.
35. Procedure on admission and denial of execution respectively.
OF ENFORCING THE APPEARANCE OF EXECUTANTS AND WITNESSES
36. Procedure where appearance of executant or witness is desired.
37. Officer or Court to issue and cause service of summons.
38. Persons exempt from appearance at registration-office.
39. Law as to summonses, commissions and witnesses.
OF PRESENTING WILLS AND AUTHORITIES TO ADOPT
40. Persons entitled to present wills and authorities to adopt.
41. Registration of wills and authorities to adopt.
OF THE DEPOSIT OF WILLS
42. Deposit of wills.
43. Procedure on deposit of wills.
44. Withdrawal of sealed cover deposited under section 42.
45. Proceedings on death of depositor.
46. Saving of certain enactments and powers of Courts.
OF THE EFFECTS OF REGISTRATION AND NON-REGISTRATION
47. Time from which registered document operates.
48. Registered documents relating to property when to take effect against oral agreements.
49. Effect of non-registration of documents required to be registered.
50. Certain registered documents relating to land to take effect against unregistered documents.
OF THE DUITES AND POWERS OF REGISTERING OFFICERS
(A) As to the Register-books and Indexes
51. Register-books to be kept in the several offices.
52. Duties of registering officers when document presented.
53. Entries to be numbered consecutively.
54. Current indexes and entries therein.
55. Indexes to be made by registering officers, and their contents.
(B) As to the procedure on admitting to registration
57. Registering officers to allow inspection of certain books and indexes, and to give certified copies of entries.
58. Particulars to be endorsed on documents admitted to registration.
59. Endorsements to be dated and signed by registering officer.
60. Certificate of registration
61. Endorsements and certificate to be copied and document returned.
62. Procedure on presenting document in language unknown to registering officer.
63. Power to administer oaths and record of substance of statements.
(C) Special duties of Sub-Registrar
64. Procedure where document relates to land in several sub-districts.
65. Procedure where document relates to land in several districts.
(D) Special duties of Registrar
66. Procedure after registration of documents relating to land.
(E) Of the Controlling powers of Registrar and Inspector-General
68. Power of Registrar to superintend and control Sub-Registrars.
69. Power of Inspector-General to superintend registration offices and make rules.
70. Power of Inspector-General to remit fines.
OF REFUSAL TO REGISTER
71. Reasons for refusal to register to be recorded.
72. Appeal to Registrar from orders of Sub-Registrar refusing registration on ground other than denial of execution.
73. Application to Registrar where Sub-Registrar refuses to register on ground of denial of execution.
74. Procedure of Registrar on such application.
75. Order by Registrar to register and procedure thereon.
76. Order of refusal by Registrar.
77. Suit in case of order of refusal by Registrar.
OF THE FEES FOR REGISTRATION, SEARCHES AND COPIES
78. Fees to be fixed by State Government.
79. Publication of fees.
80. Fees payable on presentation.
81. Penalty for incorrectly endorsing, copying, translating or registering documents with intent to injure.
82. Penalty for making false statements, delivering false copies or translations, false personation, and abetment.
83. Registering officers may commence prosecutions.
84. Registering officers to be deemed public servants.
85. Destruction of unclaimed documents.
86. Registering officer not liable for thing bona fide done or refused in his official capacity.
87. Nothing so done invalidated by defect in appointment or procedure.
88. 88. Registration of documents executed by Government officers or certain public functionaries.
89. Copies of certain orders, certificates and instruments to be sent to registering officers and filed.
Exemption from Act
90. Exemption of certain documents executed by or in favour of Government.
91. Inspection and copies of such documents.
THE SCHEDULE. [REPEALED.]